Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brazo
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
RX10 an in depth pixel peep vs APS-C
2 months ago

I wanted to pit my RX10 against my A77 to see just how well the RX10 can hold up to its bigger brother, the A77 with Zeiss 16-80 attached which covers a fair portion of its focal length. I have also included some comparisons with primes below too.

*Please read first*I had a hard time doing a fair test, by all means shout me down (I'm a big boy and can take it!) but this isn't a F4 vs F4 and F11 vs F11 test as depth of field impacted against the larger sensor and diffraction impacted against the smaller sensor.

Instead this is a best case scenario test which was generally but not exclusively F8 on APSC and F4-5.6 on the RX10. Its simply an across frame sharpness test to see how the RX10 compares to the A77 at their individual 'best settings' if one were to attempt to squeeze maximum sharpness from each.

So onto the test itself, heavy Manfrotto tripod, base iso, steady shot off, shutter delay, same focus points, manual focus, raw only. I have left the file sizes the same so you could argue the a77 has a small advantage to come if downsized to 20 megs.

NB all focal lengths are quoted in FULL FRAME EQUIVALENT

The test scene

100% comparison in lightroom 5

Sorry that should read 16-80 Zeiss not 16-70!

No centre comparison at 120 FFE, NB Zeiss 16-80 appears soft on the right section but sharp on the left at ths focal length, slight lens decentering but only visible at full zoom.

Now onto the Minolta 50mm macro 2.8 a lens renowned for its sharpness.

Lastly corner comparison against the Minolta 135 2.8

Conclusion

I dont wish to pretend this is the most scientific of tests but it does compare 100% crops of the RX10 against an A77 and some nice sharp lenses, choosing the 'best' parameters for each camera/lens combo. The RX10 seems to get better as the lens gets longer and the fact that it can compare to very nice prime lenses (if only at selected apertures) then it does show that the RX10 is capable of very high IQ. The wider focal lengths weren't quite as good as the Zeiss 16-80 but were pretty close.

As a reference point my Zeiss 16-80 has been tested against the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Sony 16-50 2.8 in my other threads and the Zeiss was always found to be sharper.

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow