Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717Gear list
Like?
ILCs not that popular?
2 months ago

The title may be a bit misleading; but I wanted some responses and used a more eye catching title.

The meat of this was an observation made by me on a cruise to Antarctica.  Surprisingly, there was much more evidence of serious photographers there than there were on a cruise in the Galapagos Islands.  There were 2100 passengers.  Very many DSLRs in evidence, many with large, expensive lenses and nearly all were Canon or Nikon.  A lot of superzooms (bridge cameras), mainly from Canon (SX50HS) and Sony.  The point of this is that I only saw 3 ILC's and all three appeared to be using the kit lens.  Two Sony NEX and one white camera that I think was a Nikon 1  All three were being used by Caucasians.

And then there was everyone else.  A remarkable number of people trying to use pads of one brand or another.  People were holding them over the side of the ship in high winds.  It's a small miracle that none got carried away by the winds.  Must have been difficult to compose in that situation.  Many cell phones in use, and lots of lower end fixed lens compacts, a lot with high zoom ratios (travel zooms and others).

Demographics of the passengers on the ship were interesting.  Many Asians, many from India, many from the UK and Europe, a lot of Canadians, and many Spanish speakers.  Americans were probably not the majority.

The ship stopped in Ushaia, Argentina, the Falkland Islands, and Puerto Madryn, Arg. all of which are great spots for marine life and sea birds.  Antarctica was a sail by of the Antarctic Peninsula.  Temperatures there were higher than where I live in Ohio (mid 20's F to low 30's F; but with fierce winds); and there were many whale sightings and many penguins there.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow