ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131
Like?
Pictures of my neighbourhood....
5 months ago

....or if you were a Londoner you would say 'my manor' instead of 'my neighbourhood'

The rain finally came to an end and last Sunday was a beautiful day. A walk by the river was in order. This is my manor, where I've lived for 20 years and the sights, sounds  and history never cease to thrill me.

This picture is taken from the south side of the river looking east towards the old village of Rotherhithe strung along the river's bank with Canary Wharf behind. The old warehouses of London's docklands have been converted into smart apartments.

There is an American connection too From here, the Mayflower set sail for Southampton to pick up the Pilgrim Fathers. In best British tradition there is a pub that bears the name of the ship and marks the location. The ship's captain returned to England and is buried in St Mary's - you can see the church steeple near the centre of the picture.

A whole community of barges has sprung up along this little part of the river. They are people's homes (not just for holidays) Complete with gardens, graffiti and secure bicycle parking.

Bermondsey Wall West - looking east

Bermondsey Wall West - looking east towards The City and Tower Bridge

South London style - we do it a little differently here!

Bermondsey Wall West

When I first moved in around here many of the old warehouses were derelict. Some had suffered heavy bombing during WWII and were just empty blocks of land where people parked their cars.

But there's always a reminder of the time when the Pool of London was a great shipping port. Though I'm not too sure who thought it was a good idea to ferry tourists up and down the Thames on Mississippi paddle steamer.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow