For those who thought the Df flopped...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: For those who thought the Df flopped...
In reply to paulski66, 6 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

dread_tai wrote:

RodluvanII wrote:

ravduc wrote:

He would love to have one but he can't afford it,

Classy.

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

+1

i was thinking the same thing when i first read that.........how old is he? 9? 10? i keep hearing this same tired/infantile response from others as well regarding this camera, and it's lame. if that's the best defense, then better to not say anything at all, and at least appear as a "mature adult".

+2

We're in the Nikon FX forum, ffs. We all own pretty expensive cameras. Duh.

So I agree that it's sour grapes. They like the Df and want it for 2K or less. They can't have it so they're mad. It shows. And that's that.

Robert

This is an over-simplification, as I'm sure you're aware.

One can be critical of the price of a product based from a value perspective. This doesn't mean they're bitching about it because they can't afford it; it means they don't perceive it as a good value for them for the price that is being asked.

Yes, but most of these critics don't hold valid views because they have not used the Df. Many don't even really understand what the Df sensor is capable of, nor do they really have any idea of how the handling really works out. They're armchair critics at best.

The output from my Df is BETTER than my D800 and with less work much of the time. The AF is great and works out well for my needs. It's smaller and lighter and quieter and less obtrusive...as I keep saying, what's not to like?

I own the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, and never once have I complained about the fact that it cost $2,000+. For me, the lens delivers a value commensurate with the price, and one can understand - when looking at the amount of glass used, the quality of the materials, and so on - why it might cost that much.

I also own the 70-200 and I seriously hope it gets a redesign with less focus breathing. It cannot match some of the abilities of the previous version and I ended up having to buy a TC to work around it. Buying a 70-200 that's more like a 70-150 much of time has never seemed like a great value. In all other respects I love the lens. My views are based on owning the lens, not reading websites.

But the new 58mm f/1.4 at $1,700? Not so much.

Can I afford the newer lens? Well, if I can afford $2,000+ for the 70-200, I can probably afford $1,700 for the 58mm f/1.4. That doesn't mean I feel it delivers good value for me, and it doesn't mean it's all just "sour grapes" when I consider the price in evaluating the value of the lens.

So are you visiting every thread on the 58mm telling happy owners that you don't like/want it and it's a bad value? Are you doing that again and again?

So let me ask you: What kind of person would do such a thing and why?

That said, I'm glad you're enjoying your new camera, Robert. Me, I love my (spot-free) d600...

Same to you. The D600 is a great camera.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow