Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,398
Like?
Re: What advantage?
In reply to Dave Sanders, 7 months ago

Dave Sanders wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Robin says that the 25/1.8 is wider than the 25/1.4, but if you notice, in most of the bokeh comparison pics the framing is actually tighter in the 25/1.8 shot, meaning that he didn't shoot from the same position and he focused closer with the Olympus lens. That can make a pretty substantial difference for background bokeh.

So you're saying any photographer with even a modicum of skill can overcome the difference? Besides, the framing is perhaps a bit closer on the first shot, wider on the Oly in the last two of the man reading the paper and the men in the alley.

What's significant is pretty subjective, but IMO the difference in bokeh in these shots taken at f/1.4 and f/1.8 with my Nokton 25mm is significant -- especially on a "normal" MFT lens where separation is often at a premium (rollover to see change):

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/f1.4_vf1.8/image%20rollover_02.html

What you're seeing is mostly the shape of the aperture blades on your Nokton, something that won't be the case when both lenses are wide open. But I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to take photos of tree branches. Robin's photos are more indicative of how the lenses will get used in the real world. The difference is inconsequential and can easily be eilminated by, shockingly, knowing what you're doing.

And relax, nobody is saying your girlfriend is no longer pretty. Just that this other girl is also pretty. In the meantime I'll add PL25 fans to the list of thin-skinned photographers who a wee bit too much of their emotional well-being vested in their gear.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

You might want to have your eyes checked because the f/1.4 pic clearly has a lot more background blur than the f/1.8 pic.

As I've mentioned before, I don't have a horse in this race.  It's academic for me since I have the 25/.95 and between it and the 12-35 I'm more than happy with my 25mm options.  But it's good to know that "real world" photos don't have trees in the background.  LOL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow