1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
A Remarkable Lens
In reply to gabriel foto, 7 months ago

A great post Gabriel.

I was impressed with dpreview's conclusion on why this is not a chart lens and not a typical 50mm. I think too many people just assume it is "another fast 50mm" and lump it in to consider with others. Hearing landscape shooters lament this lens makes no sense.

Sigma, in their recent interview went a long way to indirectly explain why this lens would cost what it costs. They gave several reasons why they were able to keep costs down vs. a company like Nikon.

But here we have a unique lens that is not currently offered by another company. To many people it will not make sense to purchase it, be it too expensive or not for the subjects they shoot. I just can't get over the beautiful portraits this lens renders. I applaud Nikon for their daring release.

As for justifying one's dislike because of the build quality, I find the 58mm to be very well built as well as light, which I welcome! And I am not alone . And I own it... There is still an old school that wants the lens made of metal, I am not in this school. I want a solidly constructed lens which is light-weight. A tall order. And I got it.

There seems to be way too many naysayers that would never be in the market for this lens anyway... very strange.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow