Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Engineers can't win.
In reply to Dave92F1, 7 months ago

Dave92F1 wrote:

howardroark wrote:

At least that tends to be the default position people (non-engineers) take when they don't like something. It makes perfect sense and is perfectly understandable, but if you were part of a team that exhaustively designed, tested, and redesigned a complex system that was greatly influenced by the need to balance one consumer demand with another consumer demand I think you might take it a little easier on the poor designers.

Actually, I am an engineer, and have been "part of a team that exhaustively designed, tested, and redesigned a complex system that was greatly influenced by the need to balance one consumer demand with another consumer demand".

And based on my experience I am sure there are some very annoyed engineers at Canon who preferred the vari-angle design...but lost the argument (been there, done that).

FWIW.  

It's possible I suppose.  Do you really think the bigwigs chose that screen design?  Do you think it is likely cheaper or easier to manufacture or allows for a higher profit margin?  When I saw that screen and video of people using it all I thought about was having the screen set firmly in place for use as a touch interface and also how a swivel/rotating joint like their standard articulated hinge would move way too easily under the slightest pressure and end up hacking everyone who tried to use it off.

What is with this? I think it's a huge downgrade from the vari-angle design, which let you nestle the camera tight against your belly for stability (like an old medium-format camera).

Yeah, I seriously doubt there was a lot of importance placed on the very few people who shoot this way. I'd call that a very non-standard method and also not one that was important enough to completely change the design strategy.

If you don't have a viewfinder (optical or EVF), then you can't brace the camera against your head.  My solution has been to brace against the body instead (it works great; try it).

When I shoot I brace my arms against my body and not the camera.  Of course that still allows for a pretty long moment arm that will magnify any shake, but if that's really a problem then buy the EVF.  If that's not an option why not get an SLR for the ergonomics and viewfinder.  I just don't understand why people post comments about why they are upset about a single model not being right for them.  When I see a camera that isn't right for me I move on with my life.  I suppose I can understand finding something almost perfect and lamenting it, but it doesn't make me feel sorry for anyone.  Nietzsche said "One must want nothing to be different-not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not only bear what is necessary, but to love it."

I wasn't aware that "very few people shoot that this way". I thought all experienced photographers did this when using a camera without an eye-level viewfinder (or tripod...).

Maybe most people unable to hold the camera steady for one reason or another.  My 66 year old parents don't brace the camera against their bodies, they hold the camera up and look through the LCD just like I do.  Still, I understand your needs may be different an there are ways to adjust for any instability you might need to deal with.

Is there another way to brace the camera against vibration if you can't hold it against your head?

Yes, with your arms.  You can use your arms if they are steady enough to hold a pound of weight at eye level in front of your body, or you can brace your arms (elbows against your torso) against your own body and tilt the screen accordingly.

(I mean...it's a $800 camera. I know there are people who just hold the camera at arms' length and get horrible blurry pictures.  But at $800 I assume that the majority of buyers know enough about photography to worry about camera shake.)

No, there are many, many people (like myself and retired parents) that get great pictures at arm's length.  The only time you really have to worry about camera shake is when using longer exposure times.  Otherwise, if you're shooting at 1/125 of a second you'd have to have some pretty unsteady hands to see a lot of camera shake, and in bright light at 1/500 you'd probably have to be swinging the camera around your head to get a lot of blur.

I always open the screen to the left, so I can see it with the camera braced against my body - it looks like that won't work anymore!

You are not the only person in the world who might buy this camera, but I'd bet you could adjust your strategy if you need to and, if not, I'd bet there are many other cameras for you to choose from.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but thanks for the patronizing comment anyway. (I say that with love, I do!)

I was just saying that you should move on with your life and buy one of the many, many cameras out there that would fit your needs.  If not, the G1 X is still for sale.  Or you can buy the EVF.  Or you can complain here and expect nothing in the world to change because Canon doesn't read these comments.  Honestly, I'd suggest you write directly to Canon to let your voice be heard....really, that's probably the surest bet they'll pay some attention, and if you get a lot of other people to write then you keep increasing your odds.

I will probably buy one of these things - my "travel" camera is still a G12 because that's the last compact Canon made with the Vari-angle (except for the G1X which I didn't buy because of the macro limitation - I take lots of product shots up close).

With the 250D close up lens and a tripod the G1 X would be perfect for you.  Don't like to use tripods?

But expressing disappointment with mfr's choices is part of how we give feedback to the vendors.

Not here it isn't.  Vendors have better things to do than read one of the million forums on the internet.  Write to them.

My guess is that in fact it was a decision that more customers cared about 3 millimeters of size than cared about vari-angle.  And maybe that's correct, but I'm not one of them.

Take your articulating LCD camera out and start trying to pretend like the LCD is a touch screen and make some changes to your settings. You're putting stress on the hinge and you're also most likely changing the orientation of the screen, and making that hinge stiffer to resist people who push buttons harder than necessary is probably not feasible.

That's a good point.  I've never owned a camera with a touchscreen so I didn't think about that.

Good luck finding something that you like.  I know how frustrating it can be.  The G1 X was the first P&S I ever owned that I didn't hate with a passion.  I wasn't trying to be condescending, but only make you aware that while I understand your frustration I don't think the G1 X Mark II is flawed in any way.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow