FX for a casual shooter?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939Gear list
Like?
My upgrade path, in 2010
In reply to Penny123, 10 months ago

In 2010, I was using a Canon 40D, with an XTi (400D) as back-up. (For reference, the 40D can be considered the equivalent of the Nikon D200.) I contemplated acquiring  a Nikon D300s, a  Canon 7D, or a Canon 5D Mark II, the latter being Canon's "FX." I chose the 7D, the then-class-leading "DX" DSLR, and have no regrets. The next year, I bought a second 7D, to have two identical bodies to use at work. Then, later, to satisfy my curiosity, I started acquiring larger-sensor 5D and 1D cameras on the pre-owned market, at prices much, much lower than new.

Well, today, the D7100 is the class-leading DX DSLR. For low-light shooting, it is a generation, or two, better than my 7D cameras, and if Canon does not announce a successor to the 7D by the time of Photokina in September, I may add a D7100 to my kit. I may buy a D7100 for my wife's birthday, in May. She was a dedicated Olympus shooter in her film days, but became a total Nikon convert when her employer issued her a D300s. She now uses a D7000, which I bought for her while she was recovering from a shoulder injury, and needed to lighten her load.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow