MFT 25mm f/1.4 fails to blur background like Full Frame 50mm lens @ f/2.8

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: Two closer looks
In reply to bluelemmy, 7 months ago

bluelemmy wrote:

I think what you're seeing are differences in DOF character between the two lenses rather than differences in DOF amount.

What this really illustrates is just a difference in approach between us. One looks more out of focus to me and to me the reason is irrelevant, if it looks it, it is.

You are approaching it scientifically so if the theory and study says it is identical, it is. Both views are equally legitimate, obviously.

But if the different character of a lens's out of focus area makes it look more out of focus, I'd use that lens in preference if I wanted the background to look more out of focus.

But I believe his conclusion is more relevant to the topic of this thread which is FF vs m43 "equivalency"

The Zeiss creates a background that looks more out of focus because of its own lens characteristics, not because it is shot on a FF sensor.

So the PL creates a background that looks less out of focus because of its own lens characteristics, not because it is shot on a m43 sensor.

With that said... I'm never letting go of my ancient 5D. The amount of DoF control in a FF camera is just too addictive.

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow