Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,360
Like?
Re: What advantage?
In reply to Dave Sanders, 5 months ago

Dave Sanders wrote:

amtberg wrote:

I'll reserve judgment until I or a neutral third party has an opportunity to make the comparison. Consciously or not, all but one of the bokeh comparison pics were shot in such a way as to minimize the Panasonic's advantage.

While I certainly understand your reservations about an Olympus rep doing a comparative lens review, I think 2/3 of a stop on a 25mm lens is not worth arguing about. We are, literally, talking about a DOF difference of just over an inch. Background blur differences are inconsequential. And I'm a PL 25 owner.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Robin says that the 25/1.8 is wider than the 25/1.4, but if you notice, in most of the bokeh comparison pics the framing is actually tighter in the 25/1.8 shot, meaning that he didn't shoot from the same position and he focused closer with the Olympus lens. That can make a pretty substantial difference for background bokeh.

What's significant is pretty subjective, but IMO the difference in bokeh in these shots taken at f/1.4 and f/1.8 with my Nokton 25mm is significant -- especially on a "normal" MFT lens where separation is often at a premium (rollover to see change):

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/f1.4_vf1.8/image%20rollover_02.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow