G1X Mark II - What is with the screen??

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993Gear list
Like?
Re: The problem with screen protectors...
In reply to TheAlex, 5 months ago

TheAlex wrote:

This is awful for me. I was really hopeful for an upgrade to the G1 X and when I saw the G1 X Mark II had improved focus speed and closer focus distance I was well excited.

Then I noticed the lack of an optical viewfinder (which comes in very useful when battery use is an issue) and the lack of the vari-angle screen. A vari-angle screen comes in amazingly useful for taking photos at awkward angles where space is limited - such as at a standing concert or next to a wall, when you're in position and your subject moves - or when you want to be a bit more inconspicuous with your camera and are shooting from the hip. A proper vari-angle screen is the first thing I look for when buying a camera so the G1 X II looks like a definite no.

The lens got scratched on my G1 X when the cap fell off so I need a replacement. I'm not aware of any other fixed lens cameras of the G1 X's size and image quality though?

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/LensBeyond

I think your concerns are valid.  I am hoping the touch screen is durable.  My experience with Canon tells me I will be OK.  Plus the Canon Repair facility is close to me and they have repaired stuff for free out of warranty even.

But I think in your position Alex I would give it a try.  I have heard good things about these variangle screens.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow