Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF Preview
In reply to stevo23, 8 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

abortabort wrote:

Trollman said that the A7 gives live view DOF preview. I own an A7R and I can't find any reference to DOF in the manual.

So how do we get DOF preview in the A7/R cameras?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Set one of your custom buttons (I use C3) to DOF preview or there is an option for 'shot preview' which will show you full DoF preview (doesn't go dark like an SLR).

DOF is not fixed, which is basically why DOF scales are difficult to implement especially in digital.

I've used this setting before and I didn't find it helpful - perhaps I'm missing something.

I tend to use focus peaking and live view to get an idea of DOF. You can watch the focus zone moving if you use MF. It's tricky to interpret, but you start to get a feel for it pretty quickly. It's important to adjust the peaking level to match your lens - telephotos needing more, wides needing less.

The problem with this is the aperture isn't always at the shooting size, it adjusts for live view dependant on light, not on what aperture will be used during picture taking. In some scenarios it will be correct, but in others not, so using 'peaking' isn't an indication of DoF when you actually take the shot.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow