X-T1 jpg quality question

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,016
Like?
Re: Here is a post at 3200 showing waxy skin from excess nr.
In reply to newone757, 8 months ago

newone757 wrote:

I already posted an example, the one you criticized. The one above you illustrates the same issue as well. I get the feeling you are a true seeing is believing type person so I suggest heading down to your local camera store if they carry fujifilm to see for yourself. Pop a card in, set the camera to 6400, pick aperture, and SS and take a picture of the salesman behind the counter. Rinse and repeat on the other camera. The proof is even evident on the cameras LCD screen.

Believe me, I ignored the claims myself and brushed it off as the typical fuji bashers that come along every now and then. I even chalked some of the visual evidence up as the person not knowing how the use their gear (similar to what you are doing here). But I just picked up an xe1 last week to use while I sell my xe2 (shipping out tomorrow) to fund the xt1. It is a real problem.

Fortunately I don't normally shoot ISO 6400 portraits so it doesn't bother me enough to not order an xt1 but I cant deny the facts that it does exist. Typically if the work is that critical I'll be in a studio type setting with strobes so no need for anything above 200-400 ISO and I'll develop the RAWs as well were it is a non-issue. YMMV

Either way I hope you find what you're looking for and apologize if I got a little riled up.

No problem on the riled up part, I can bring out the wost in people, at times.

I shouldn't have been so critical about the samples that were posted.

I'm not going to buy the X-E2 or the X-T1 because my X-E1 is only about a year old and I'm still pretty happy with it. If Fuji comes out with an X-Pro2 I may be tempted to come up with the money and buy it.

My big problem with all the talk about the X-E2/X-T1 high ISO problems is that I simply don't see it as being that much different from the X-E1/X-Pro1 at ISO 6400 and above. I've even read every professional review of the X-E2 and no reviewer has indicated there is any appreciable difference between the cameras.

Every camera with an APS sensor starts to apply significant noise reduction at ISO 6400 and from the high ISO (real life) portraits I've seen on sites like PBase, Flicker, etc., the X-E2 looks pretty good.

The only place I've ever seen the cameras criticized for having "waxy" faces or destructive noise reduction is here, on this forum.

Anyway, it's no big deal and I'm obviously in a minority, so I'll stop talking about it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow