Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926
Like?
Re: ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition
In reply to 21st Hermit, 10 months ago

21st Hermit wrote:

Definitely a metaphor.

Yes, I’ll admit was being facetious there, as I did assume you implied “Lost in the … beauty/grandeur, etc… of…

Not being familiar with GPS at all, I wondered whether it is possible, if someone did have a Canon SX700 HS, which has Wifi and NFC but not GPS, to be able to use it in conjunction with a portable device or phone, which they might also find it necessary to have with them on a hike/trip, which had GPS? (Sorry if this is a silly question.)

Not silly at all. While virtually all smartphones have a GPS chip, and WiFi, many NFC; they all suffer from battery life issues, worse with the GPS on. Of course, yours and many others main objection to a T-Z GPS is battery life. From my perspective, camera batteries are cheap, light and small, while smartphones may not even have replaceable batteries. So for important mapping I'll carry the Garmin, but for casual mapping the ZS40 may be sufficient, a test awaits. Some of the maps is this thread may be of interest.

Many thanks for that explanation. It all sounds very logical to me. Thanks also for that link, which is a very interesting thread.

Add to that the 30X zoom, EVF, and a fairly sophisticated GPS feature set, the ZS40 is one impressive tool. I've even thought it might be possible to make Panasonic compatible Topo maps, currently I can only make Garmin maps.

BTW, I was never trying to pick a fight, just "pulling your leg" over cherry picking a few specs and concluding the ZS40 the winner, when you could have done this: ZS40 : SZ700 : HX50Vand of course

Sorry if I over-reacted. I didn’t intentionally cherry pick the specs. I suppose though they were the ones that are important to me (the way GPS is to you) and that includes AVCHD movies. Although Canon has upgraded to 60fps it is only MP4 which IMHO is an inferior compression codec to AVCHD and also MP4 gives larger files.

Also I only said the ZS40 was in the lead thus far. The Canon SX700 could have as good as or better IQ, but we don’t know yet. OTOH, we do know that it doesn’t have RAW or an EVF.

I assume you meant the Canon SX700 in your list? You said earlier on that you didn’t think the SX700 was part of the SX2x0 series, but this is what Imaging Resource says (here ):

“Their model names might not imply as much, but the coat pocket-sized Canon SX700 HS is, we're told, a logical successor to 2013's SX280 HS.”

I didn’t include the Sony HX50V because it is last year’s model, and I was only considering this year’s models, and the HX60V is already being reviewed.

posted in the Canon and Sony forums too.

I would not enjoy being torn to pieces! People generally tend to be rather kinder here.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow