G1X Mark II - What is with the screen??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave92F1
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Re: Engineers can't win.
In reply to howardroark, 8 months ago

howardroark wrote:

At least that tends to be the default position people (non-engineers) take when they don't like something. It makes perfect sense and is perfectly understandable, but if you were part of a team that exhaustively designed, tested, and redesigned a complex system that was greatly influenced by the need to balance one consumer demand with another consumer demand I think you might take it a little easier on the poor designers.

Actually, I am an engineer, and have been "part of a team that exhaustively designed, tested, and redesigned a complex system that was greatly influenced by the need to balance one consumer demand with another consumer demand".

And based on my experience I am sure there are some very annoyed engineers at Canon who preferred the vari-angle design...but lost the argument (been there, done that).

FWIW.  

What is with this? I think it's a huge downgrade from the vari-angle design, which let you nestle the camera tight against your belly for stability (like an old medium-format camera).

Yeah, I seriously doubt there was a lot of importance placed on the very few people who shoot this way. I'd call that a very non-standard method and also not one that was important enough to completely change the design strategy.

If you don't have a viewfinder (optical or EVF), then you can't brace the camera against your head.  My solution has been to brace against the body instead (it works great; try it).

I wasn't aware that "very few people shoot that this way". I thought all experienced photographers did this when using a camera without an eye-level viewfinder (or tripod...).

Is there another way to brace the camera against vibration if you can't hold it against your head?

(I mean...it's a $800 camera. I know there are people who just hold the camera at arms' length and get horrible blurry pictures.  But at $800 I assume that the majority of buyers know enough about photography to worry about camera shake.)

I always open the screen to the left, so I can see it with the camera braced against my body - it looks like that won't work anymore!

You are not the only person in the world who might buy this camera, but I'd bet you could adjust your strategy if you need to and, if not, I'd bet there are many other cameras for you to choose from.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but thanks for the patronizing comment anyway. (I say that with love, I do!)

I will probably buy one of these things - my "travel" camera is still a G12 because that's the last compact Canon made with the Vari-angle (except for the G1X which I didn't buy because of the macro limitation - I take lots of product shots up close).

But expressing disappointment with mfr's choices is part of how we give feedback to the vendors.

My guess is that in fact it was a decision that more customers cared about 3 millimeters of size than cared about vari-angle.  And maybe that's correct, but I'm not one of them.

Take your articulating LCD camera out and start trying to pretend like the LCD is a touch screen and make some changes to your settings. You're putting stress on the hinge and you're also most likely changing the orientation of the screen, and making that hinge stiffer to resist people who push buttons harder than necessary is probably not feasible.

That's a good point.  I've never owned a camera with a touchscreen so I didn't think about that.

Dave92F1's gear list:Dave92F1's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 60D Pentax Q Google Nexus 4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow