My experience with the HX300 (pic intensive)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,685
Like?
Re: My experience with the HX300 (pic intensive)
In reply to pro botanist, 7 months ago

pro botanist wrote:

Well, thanks for reading this, I'd appreciate any comments and tips to improve my skills. I hope I'm not obsessing too much over noise? I find photography to be very interesting and fun so I'm always open to learn more. Hopefully, I'll switch to larger sensors soon (thinking NEX7 or A6000)

I use an HX300, also a Alpha 700 DSLR A mount system. The HX300 is for not so important photos, except for having the potential of a 1200mm long tele which my A mount system does not have available.

What you call noise is actually JPEG compression artifacts.  Sony applies way too much JPEG compression pretty much all across the HX line and other cybershot cameras as well. Emphasis to them seems to be on how many images can be packed on a card.  But it's quite a price to pay for that. If they would back off the amount of compression applied the images would be way easier to work with and way better.  The camera with it's zeiss lens produces very good images and then all you get to see is after Sony's compression setting stomped on them.  Nothing wrong with shooting jpeg, just wrong with that final step in saving the file.

There is software that specializes in "removing" JPEG compression artifacts.  My experience is you won't remove it completely but you can tone it down a lot and greatly improve HX300 photos that way.

I use Topaz DeJpeg as a filter in Photoshop.  It will do the best job if you apply it as the first step with the Jpeg out of the camera, before any other PP.  Then go on to other processing. All my HX300 photos I take through this while in contrast the jpegs I shoot with the Alpha 700 don't need that and my processing from that camera the artifact removal on it's jpegs shot at it's finest resolution  is not necessary.

Note my next step is always to change the image mode in photoshop from 8 bit to 16 bit. This gives much finer control in pp, and at the end when it's converted back to jpeg it will be a much cleaner image with less of the negative effects of digital filtering showing.

100% is not the way to have or judge photos.  At 100% you are looking at mostly the result of combining the monochrome pixels that were the original data from the sensor to make a full color image.  2/3 of the color you see in each pixel was not recorded in that pixel but was derived from adjacent pixels. 100% is excessive magnification of the image which makes matters worse, not better. To get what is closer to real data don't enlarge more than about 50%.  And even that is generally way bigger than the image to display.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow