bavarius6
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
Re: Clever, clever!
In reply to photoreddi, 8 months ago

bavarius6 wrote:

bavarius6 wrote:

Still shooting Analog, why?

I love my xp1 but when you do a bit of research you realise that in some ways digital still hasn't matched film, especially if you shoot B&W. Can you show me a sensor that can be overexposed by 5 stops before it loses detail or alternatively a B&W film that only contains 256 shades of grey?

Those 256 shades of gray are JPEG (8-bit) shades. Haven't you heard of 12-bit, 14-bit and 16-bit RAW files? They'd give you 4,096, 16,384 and 65,536 shades of gray.

That's why I've recently started shooting 35mm Ilford FP4 again and loving it.

I hope that your 35mm camera is able to prevent film curl and keep the FP4 really, really flat. It's really needed for high resolution fine grain film.

Wow, you've figured out how to print an unprocessed RAW file? Clever......

......or trying to be.

And you've just shown that your attempt to write something clever was a total failure, as ridiculous as if someone said "Wow, you've figured out how to print an undeveloped roll of film? Clever......"

Pat

Ps which Fuji camera has 16 bit RAW?
PPS Which camera of any make does?

You didn't originally ask which Fuji camera has 16-bit RAW. You asked :

> Can you show me a sensor that can be overexposed by 5 stops before it loses detail or alternatively a B&W film that only contains 256 shades of grey?

The answer to your 16-bit RAW quest are medium format digital cameras from Hasselblad, Mamiya/Leaf Aptus, almost all of Phase One's digital backs and Leica's S2. Leica claims that their M9 (35mm film size FF sensor) also shoots 16-bit RAW files.

It always makes me chuckle how people who attempt to belittle other people's opinions on this forum get oh so offended when they receive a like for like reply.

Your "undeveloped roll of film" isn't a valid one because you don't compress the information in a negative when you print it.

Although I did ask quoting hugely expensive MF backs and a Leica that might have 16 bit RAW files totally irrelevant as:

a) I'll say again, you can't print a RAW file.
b) Most of those bits are colour information that are worthless when I was specifically talking about B&W.

Pat

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow