Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?
ISO 25600 - Noise? What noise??
10 months ago

I see... GRAIN! I've had my 5D mkIII for two days now, and shot this while messing about in the kitchen while my son was watching something on the iPad. The first think I noticed when I opened the images in Aperture (at 100%) was the out-of-focus toy aeroplane in the extreme corner of the picture:

It looks exactly like the fantastic, soft, grainy backgrounds I used to love from my time messing about with Tri-X all those years ago! So I panned up to the centre of the frame, and found this:

It's worth magnifying up to 100% to see the grain properly! I'm really excited - I think I can really do something with this once I've mastered the camera. I'd never, ever have thought I could get anything useful out if ISO 25600! It's just about as exciting as seeing a good print appear in the developing tray for the first time! Almost.

Apologies for the self-indulgent post. Thought I'd share, since many people seem a bit preoccupied by noise-reduction.

Happy snapping,

Al

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow