This is how my D610s sensor looks after 600 shots (Dust/oil spots)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tresemes
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
This is how my D610s sensor looks after 600 shots (Dust/oil spots)
9 months ago

Hello there! I wish my first thread were about other topic but it's not

As a lot of people I've been one of those that didn't buy the D600 at the time because of the oil/dust issues and saw the D610 as the answer they'd been looking for.

Just to give you some background, I've been shooting with Canon for 5 years, I've had 3 of them and the last one was a 5D Mark II. I sold all my Canon gear because for most things I used the OMD as it was lighter and smaller, but I still loved the output of a good ol' FF and sooner or later I was going to get a new one.

I bought my Nikon a couple of weeks ago along with a 50mm f1.8 and a 85mm f1.8 and, after testing all the equipment and then using it quite happily for some family photos, it occurred to me to test it for the famous spots (at f16 as my lenses wont close any further), after reading Roger Cicala's and some other articles about the lack of oil spots on this camera I was feeling pretty confident but I tested it anyway...

(Contrast and clarity at maximum setting, but they become REALLY visible as soon as I pump up the contrast. Downscaled to just 6mp).

The only threads I've found about this issue on the D610:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52783897

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52625899

D610 50mm f16

D610 85mm f16

And a 500px crop from the upper left corner...

Upper left crop

Just for comparison here's a picture @ f16 with my OM-D E-M5 after a year and a half of heavy use and 0 cleans (including lens changes in harsh conditions).

OMD EM5 25mm f16

Maybe it will ease (not before getting worse) after a few thousand shots and it would go away after a wet clean but honestly I think that this is not acceptable to any degree.

I want to clarify that I'm yet to see if the spots go away with my rocket blower, it would still be sub-optimal but I could live with it, anyway my expectations are low, I guess I'll ask for a replacement. I'll keep you posted.

Someone may point out the "harshness" of the test but I've always done this tests with all my gear after shooting in dusty conditions or after a few lens changes to see if I needed a clean and it has worked like a charm for years, I don't know why it should be any different with Nikon.

tresemes's gear list:tresemes's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+3New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow