Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,923Gear list
Like?
Re: Need and Like
In reply to blue_cheese, 10 months ago

blue_cheese wrote:

The problem is I know what I need, so I am trying to find out which camera I will like Hand holding something for a few minutes in the store helps, but is hardly a decidedly through way to familiarize myself with a camera.

Doing my research thoroughly this time around, I am a firm believer that EVFs will be the way of the future, but I am trying to find out if they are close enough today. I looked at the cameras in store, and the vewfinder lag/smear/jello when I do a quick pan or slight shake *may* impact my ability to take some shots. I am also concerned about AF in low light (esp since I am basically giving up flash with Fuji) I loved the low light flexibility I got from my SB-700, from good AF assist that followed focus point, to the bounce flash ability.

I have a feeling I will really like the Fuji output over what I got from Nikon (without LR PP). One question, when I tried the Olympus OM-D, I noticed that there is a button on the top plate that allows you to customize the shadow/highlight curve. Does Fuji have something like that (even if in menu)?

-- hide signature --

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"
- Ayn Rand

I know the feeling

I think you will very likely go with fuji X-T1 or olympus.

The fuji output SOOC is different from nikon, SPECIALLY when shooting indoor with different kinds of lights. Is nice, but different. What i would like to ask you is to please rent one or borrow someone's before you buy it, just to make sure you will really like it because you are making a big move by leaving nikon. Or just keep some of your nikon gear and shoot along with fuji.

To me it doesn't matter how technological all these new bodies are, i still prefer my S5 over any new camera for pure portraits because the skin tones from the newer cameras are still too smooth for my liking, so I'm still trying to get used to that and I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the camera for better results. Perhaps the software that i am currently using is not the correct one for Xtrans and is not helping.  I DEFINITELY HAVE to buy an external flash and bounce for indoor shooting, no camera is going to give you crystal clear photos without enough light.

Also please DON'T use lightroom if you end up with a fuji, you will be very disappointed. I'm in the process of adding Photo Ninja, most likely.

if you are currently happy with your nikon make sure you know what you are doing. One thing for sure Fuji's are fun as hell to use

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NawNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow