Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sheamus08
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Loved my OMD EM-5, is X-T1 for me?
6 months ago

I just had my OMD EM-5 stolen while on vacation in SEA. While I had had the camera for 8 months, but I really fell in love with the camera on my trip.

I liked the compact size, a great walk around camera but with the ability to take some nice shots. I liked the physical dials, the weather proofing, and the solid build. I also really liked the fast AF (at least with the zoom lens, it was much slower on the 2.8/17mm prime). The kit lens was nice to have for my kids sports, etc, but I tended to use my 17mm prime the most on the trip for just walking around. No doubt I was also attracted to the physical look of the camera as well.

So now that I need to replace my stolen gear, I was leaning towards upgrading to the EM1, when I noticed the the buzz around the X-T1.

I love the looks of the X-T1 (like the EM5), love the dials, APS-C sensor is a draw, better low-light would be nice for hockey rinks, and most reviews suggest the AF speed is fast enough. Seems like it is everything my EM5 was, but with a bigger sensor, minus the IBIS.

I am concerned about the lack of IBIS when shooting with the primes. Should I be? I hadn't done much photography for about 10 years leading up getting back into it with my EM5, so I don't really know how much the EM5's IBIS was helping me. But I was able to get many nice walk-around shots with the LCD pointing up, and essentially hip shooting to get some pretty candid shots. If I did the same on the XT-1 with a prime (seems all the primes are unstabilized), am I going to end up with a bunch of blurry pics?

Thoughts?

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow