Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662
Like?
Re: I would add few more points ..
In reply to Sean Nelson, 8 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

When I took basic photography course, there were people shooting 35mm and 120. When the teacher assigned us to experement with DoF, didn't didn't differentiate who was shooting which. Just that we had to figure out with our own equipment how to get shallow and deep DoF and make good photos using each. There was never anything stating that we had to have a certain FL or required max aperture. It was understood that people shooting different gear would have different limitations.

35mm and 6x6cm are very similar in their DOF capabilities because the fastest commonly available lenses for 35mm cameras are about 2 stops larger than those available for 6x6 cameras.

It gets harder as you move towards smaller sensor sizes.  M43 does have a few f/0.95 lenses available, which can put it into close to the same ballpark as 35mm full frame, but they tend to be rather uncommon.   And when you start getting down into compact camera territory then photographic exercises requiring shallow DOF get more difficult and require more careful consideration of subject size and shooting distance.

That doesn't mean you can't demonstrate and do experiments with M43 or compact cameras, it just means you need to be more careful about the conditions.   For example, you can't ask people using compact cameras to use DOF isolation for a 3/4 portrait inside a classroom because there just isn't enough room to use the long focal length and large subject-to-background distance that would be required to do it.

So I can see how a course syllabus may need to be adjusted to deal with cameras outside the expected range of types.   That having been said, I'd be pretty surprised if the class in question didn't have a lot of participants using APS-C cameras, and if they could be accommodated then it's hard to imagine that M43 would pose any big issues.

Putting an arbritary minimum DoF seems kind of weird to me, but if you need that to "teach photography," it will set up more FF only people.

Regarding 35 and MF, surprisingly, getting shallow DoF was almost never the issue, it was getting enough DoF when you had to hand hold a shot, especially for MF. I was always stuck at f2.8 with my 80mm lens and could not get enough DoF all the time.

I think the point of a class is to just get someone's feet wet on the creative posibilities of their gear. If you decide that shallow DoF is really important for fulfilling your vision, the DoF assignment might make you rethink your gear choice or push you into buying some exspenive m43 lenses.

Also, back when I was taking film photography classes, there were people taking the class with their crappy 28-80 kit zooms. The teacher explained to them that they wouldn't have the DoF capabilities that people with faster lenses had, but they managed to to take the class. At most, DoF was one one week unit and one critique... after you get throught he basics you have to work with what you have to produce good images.

People around here, and basically all photo forums (go to the Canon forums and read about the 85L), fixate on ultra shallow DoF as if it was a "professional" or creative requirement, but really, it is often just a gimmick effect IMO.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow