Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,360
Like?
First THEATRE shoot with Olympus µFT 12-40mm F2.8
7 months ago

I've shared my first impressions of this lens in an earlier thread.

And I have mentioned that my first REAL use of the lens would be at the dress rehearsal of an upcoming theatre production of "Reynaert the Fox" by local company "Vaarttheater-Volharding".

Well, that dress rehearsal was last week and the show opened last Friday (exquisitely designed show, BTW), so I am now at liberty to show and share a few images. Not yet a full gallery, because that will have to wait until after the full run of the production, but I have made a dedicated gallery with only 12-40mm images.

My experience is excellent with the lens. Many keepers, most of them wide open.

I typically shoot such a dress rehearsal (in which I can roam freely in the theatre and even on the side of the stage) with two or three cameras:

* the ZD35-100 is glued to my E-5 and takes care om medium distance ensembles and close ups;

* the ZD150 sits on the E-3 and is used sparingly for really close expression shots.

* and then I also want something much wider than 35mm.

That used to be the ZD12-60 on E-3 (alternating with ZD150), but low-light, high iso is better on E-M5 so I really wanted to use that camera. Until now, I mounted the Panasonic 20mm or the Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm, but those are less flexible and not as wide as I sometimes want to go (especially when I join the actors on stage and shoot over their shoulder).

Enter the Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 lens. And it really performs up to expectation.

The constant F2.8 allows use in circumstances where the slower aperture of the µFT 12-50mm would really kill the shutter speed (even at high ISO).

But judge for yourself.

Here is the gallery where you can find the test shots (with something different as thumbnail to disguise the really content): http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p853606617. Images can be seen there at maximum resolution that Zenfolio allows. Use the slideshow feature for that. EXIF is available by hovering your mouse over the (i) icon top right.

And here are some samples:

B&W is my preferred treatment for backstage images

The little lady-chicks meet with Reynaert and his charm

Reynaert isolates and mesmerizes one naive piece of poultry

King Noble is bored by the complaints of Isegrim the Wolf

Quick move to the other side of the stage for a look over the shoulder of Courtois the Dog

Tybeert the Cat is sent to subpoena Reynaert but is seduced by his charm

Tybeert has to explain herself to the King

(I intended to show just a few samples, but have included all seven 12-40mm shots above.  However, in the gallery you can see them in MUCH bigger version.)

C&C is, as always, welcome.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow