how can the NEX auto-focus miss these shots?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512Gear list
Like?
Re: how can the NEX auto-focus miss these shots?
In reply to spacemn, 8 months ago

spacemn wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

I know the photographer makes a difference but I am getting annoyed with my nex 5R because sometimes it misses good shots where autofocus and the subject in question shouldn't be trivial to figure out it should be in focus. I don't always or want to change the focus point because sometimes there is just no time and it should be evident. Look here... what do you guys think? I had face detection on (regist faces) but I have no faces registered, regardless, why is it focusing on everything else but the subject in the center. I have multi-area focus mode. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?

Another thing you will notice with the focus, when trying to get focus on straight lines, is that you cant have them paralell to the sensor borders. If it is completely horizontal, or completely vertical, tilt the camera, get focus, and tilt it back till it is straight. Many AF systems have probelms with straight lines paralell to the borders. Dont know why. Just tilting it 20' is enough to get focus.

Not correct what you are saying about vertical lines. Try focus on verticals, focus acquisition is not a problem.

The focussing system functions as a single line type focussing point as opposed to cross type focus point of a DSLR.

The focussing system will not focus on horizontal lines in parallel with the horizontal sensor borders. Vertical lines are just fine. A cross type focus point would focus on both horizontal and vertical.

I remember having problems with verticals. I could be wrong. but it happens. I will test it when Im back home. But any case. Vertical, horizontal, if any of them is (Im almost sure is vertical, or maybe I was holding the camera in portrait way), just tilting, adquiring focus, and tilting back solves the problem.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow