Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZinMe
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
400mm f2.8 version question
7 months ago

I shoot about 50% sports, and have enjoyed good quality with my 300mm 2.8 VR, but it can be a little short esp in FX mode, so I am thinking about switching to a 400mm lens.     I've found I could probably sell my 300mm f2.8 VR for around $4k and buy a used 400mm f2.8 AF-S ED Mark II for about $5250-$5500 (a manageable $1.5k premium for me.)   The VR version of the 400mm is about $7,000-8,000, which is too much.

The different versions of 400mm f2.8 lenses are not widely reviewed.  I looked for local rentals, but did not find a shop with the Mark II version.

I almost never use VR on my 300mm 2.8, so I know that I will not miss that feature significantly.  However, I had previously compared the MarkII version of the 300mm 2.8 to the VR version, and found that the VR version was noticeably sharper wide-open with less ghosting and less CA.

If anyone has experience with the different versions of the 400mm 2.8 and can provide some comparison of the VR and AFS MrkII version, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow