BRAINSTORMING - Stills from frames of an old 16mm film?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chas Tennis
Contributing MemberPosts: 628
Like?
BRAINSTORMING - Stills from frames of an old 16mm film?
5 months ago

I have an old 16 mm black & white high speed film from the 1970s. It has tennis servers taken at hundreds of frames per second.

The input is the B & W 16 mm projection film.  The final output would be a jpeg of either individual frames or a strip of a short sequences of frames showing parts of the tennis serve.

This is an odd job. Quality is not a priority just the accurate positions of the tennis server.  The proper way of doing it by purchasing suitable equipment is likely to be too expensive but I would still like to hear some suggestions  Paying for a copying service to convert to a DVD is probably going to be too expensive (??) or inflexible and I might worry about this old film. I more or less want a technique to handle 16 mm film by using a Dell copier/scanner, a DSLR camera or even a video camera.

1) Scanning.  A quick try at directly scanning the 16 mm film did not work, the scanned strip was too dark. Next I will probably try 3M retroreflective tape placed behind the film to brighten things up for the scanner.  ??

2) Backlight the 16 mm film - DSLR using Macro?  .....?......

3) Backlight 16 mm Film - Video the using Macro. It has just occurred to me that it might be possible to simply use a video camera to video the 16 mm film being pulled across a light table. I could then extract the stills from the video file. ??  (Quality is not so important.)

4) Buy  16 mm Projector? These projectors frequently broke down in my experince and selecting single frames was only possible with film analyzer projectors but maybe .....??

5) Other Low Cost Illumination or Viewing Equipment?

While the film is 100 ft long it consists of a series of very short videos and probably 10-20 frames from each clip would be of interest.

Chas Tennis

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow