SD1: Is colour noise and cast significantly lower in Medium vs High files?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpanded
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
SD1: Is colour noise and cast significantly lower in Medium vs High files?
7 months ago

Please accept my apologies in advance if I have failed to find the answer in existing posts already or I am just stating the blatantly obvious… I dare to ask since I suspect I may be the only Foveon user ever,who have cared dialing the resolution down to “Medium”

Having acquired the SD1 last week I have been running some simple non-scientific tests out of the window of the various settings of the camera enjoying the sunny day of Brussels going Springy early.

One of the things I have experimented with is the difference between High and Medium sized files.

My eyes are signalling that the colour cast and colour noise is significantly lower at ISO 1600 in the Medium files than in the High ones when compared on my computer screen. This is even more pronounced at ISO 3200 which is actually useable in Medium files. And significantly more so at ISO 6400 although both results are useless to me.

Is the SD1 (and the other Merrills I presume) applying some kind of advanced noise reducing down sampling that allows it to respond better to the higher ISOs (to my eyes at least) when creating the lower resolution picture of the Medium size?

[Or have I finally gone totally bonkers seeing things that are not there… You do not have to answer that...]

On the one hand I cannot recall seeing such a significant effect when going down in resolution on other digital cameras, but on the other hand they did not have nothing near the Merrills in resolution.

I simply have not thought about this before - how this is done in practice and with what effects. I assumed the system was far too busy just reading off the sensor and had not time to do anything else. And my knowledge of sensors is not good enough to understand the finer details anyway (no pun intended).

Already the combination of the OS in my lens and the optical viewfinder as well as the bulk of the camera+lens combination gifts me pictures off tripod that I would never succeed with using the DP Merrills.

Now ISO 1600 is truly acceptable with the added benefit of significantly deeper buffer, faster writing to the card and higher frames per second of the Medium vs High. There is a trade off in loss of detail, but to on screen viewing without magnification this is acceptable - to me at least.

All input much appreciated.
Xpanded

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow