Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Gave up on Tamron
7 months ago

I have been planning for months to photograph two weddings in March. Got everything I need except for a normal zoom, which I thought I would not need. During all the pre-wedding stuff I have seen the error of my ways.

You need a 70-200, for sure. It so happens I have the Nikon original version, which is fantastic on a D800E and on a D600.

You need a 24-70, which I do not have. I am loaded up on excellent prime lenses, but after a few sessions I have learned that you definitely want an assistant if you plan to use primes. I don't have an assistant.

Five months ago I felt sure the price of a Tamron 24-70 would drop before D-Day for me. It has dropped dramatically on the gray market, but I refuse to buy a pig in a poke. The USA price remains at $1299.

So, I looked for refurbished. The only Tamron I find is from Midwest, and it is $999. To heck with that. I finally found a Nikon 24-70 refurb in stock for $1495, and I pulled the trigger. The Nikon is the lens I wanted anyway. It is just too much money. But to-hell-with-it. These weddings are putting a lot of pressure on me to get the lighting right and just to figure out what to do, particularly my son's wedding which the second one. I don't need lens worries to compound my anxiety.

I have ditched the idea of using a D7100 with a DX zoom because I have found the D600 is too good to keep in a bag. I can only handle two cameras, and the D800E has to be there, so it is all full frame for me.

Wish me luck, please. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow