Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
woodybrown
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
Photomatix Pro vs merge to 32 bit LR plugin
10 months ago

It is clear that the big difference between these products is that only the Pro has tone mapping as well as some additional options for alignment and unghosting. My own preference would be to continue to do most of my adjustments within LR 5. I might, however, just pay the additional cost to get Pro and have the tone mapping option, but it appears that Pro can only re-import 16 bit vs 32 bit TIFF back to LR (is that correct?), and I would like to take advantage of LR's ability now to work with the 32 bit merged files. (I do not presently have PS which I believe would allow me to reimport 32 bit merged tiff files back to LR.) Photomax does sell a bundle that includes both Pro & the 32 bit plugin  which would seem to deal with the issue of choosing either/or, but I it would seem that using plugin extras in LR to export files directly to either Photomatix plugin, that one could only export a given set of bracketed shots  either to Pro or the 32 bit plugin. If I am correct in my assumptions so far, that would mean that if I want to work with 32 bit files in LR, that I would have to dispense with Photomax tone mapping and the additional options for alignment and unghosting in PRO. I would be most interested to hear from users of Pro (or both) as to whether they feel the tone mapping in Pro (with perhaps doing additional work in LR on the 16 bit reimports) gives better results than doing all the adjustments in LR with 32 bit reimports and whether they often use the non-automated alignment/deghosting options in Pro.                   Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow