FX for a casual shooter?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Re: FX for a casual shooter?
In reply to BasiliskPhoto, 5 months ago

BasiliskPhoto wrote:

I don't think people realise quite how dark it is in Scotland for half the year - it is bad enough in southern England - with cloud cover most of the winter. If you still want to shoot on days like this, then the extra light you get in full frame and the better sensitivity is a real bonus. You might consider paring a D600 with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 if you want to keep fast glass. It isn't the best lens, but f2.8 zooms are otherwise very expensive. VR is good for low light, but doesn't really help with shooting twitchy dogs where you need fast shutter speeds.

Like you, I work in M mode; I let Auto ISO range up to 6400. Images taken at 6400 are still fine if you downsample to 50% which still gives an image bigger than my computer screen.

Lots of secondhand bargain fast full frame lenses available - especially primes; If you want to get in to shallow DOF photography, then it is a whole lot easier with full frame.

Thanks, it does get rather dark unfortunately.  Last week I rushed home from work to take some shots of my dog in the snowdrops I managed to take shots at iso 800 whilst there was still a little bit of light and shot at 2.8 but the quality has evidently dropped and they don't have the same colour, clarity etc.. also the noise is very evident and not always easy to remove.  The noise is always worse in these poorly lit environments.  It is not always practical to have a tripod and use lower iso as I am often out walking and it adds the extra weight and inconvenience and even though my dog poses perfectly a tripod isn't ideal for those kind of shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow