Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: T-stops
In reply to draleks, 5 months ago

Honestly, people are making too much out of this comparison. Robin Wong admitted his testing methodology was in no way rigorous, and further I suspect his hand is forced in making pro-Olympus statements (one funny line that struck out at me was his claim that all Olympus primes were tack-sharp corner to corner when shot wide open... Not remotely true for any of the wide primes).

Now we know the Oly 25mm is a good lens, and also that it has some rather different rendering qualities from the Leica... Honestly I don't think the price difference is so large that one would not buy one or the other just for a preference in size and rendering, rather than for 'value'. These lenses are so similar and at once very different. The Oly has that harsh, in-your-face microcontrast of all telephoto Zuikos. The Leica has a gentler rendering, and one I happen to prefer. I don't care if the T-stop difference is 2/3 EV or 1/3 EV.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow