Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
anisah
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: no point - just I hate W8
In reply to Sean Nelson, 5 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

anisah wrote:

This problem goes back a long way. W95 worked pretty well, but the first version of W98 was pretty awful. The second version of W98 was pretty good, but WMe was about as bad as it gets (or so we thought until Vista). ...

After that came WXP, which so many people still use, as it worked well and met consumer needs...

Again, just to keep the record straight - Windows XP did not come "after" Windows ME, it came after Windows 2000, which was in turn a successor of Windows NT. Windows ME came "after" in terms of time, but not in terms of the lineage of the code base.

While Microsoft was selling Windows 95/98/ME which came from a DOS-based 16-bit heritage, they had a completely separate line of 32-bit fully multitasked operating systems which grew out of their failed collaboration with IBM on OS/2.

Good point, except that my understanding was that both WNT and W2000 were aimed at the business community, while other OS were aimed at the consumer market. In general terms neither WNT nor W200 gained a major foothold in the consumer market. I am aware of the chronology but was merely considering OS used in the consumer market. Following from W2000 WXP became used in both the business and consumer markets, with diferent versions being avialable for home and business use. More recent developments have followed that trend.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing certain about life is uncertainty." (Rabbi Berel Wein)

anisah's gear list:anisah's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow