Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Need For Articulating LCD On 6D MKII
In reply to technic, 5 months ago

technic wrote:

Peter Marchant wrote:

the articulated LCD screen - I would find that very helpful for when the camera is on a camera stand facing downwards and used for slide digitising and built-in flash.

for slide digitizing or reproduction work I recommend shooting tethered instead, the computer screen is even better for this than a tilt LCD

Yes, I agree, but when I researched my next camera I was unaware that this was even possible!  First, I set up a 19" TV behind the camera for focussing, but it was not ideal for composition as the TV has part of the image hidden behind the frame.  Then I used a laptop, with the advantage of triggering the shutter with the space bar.

Unfortunately, for some reason, the timer facility on the laptop is greyed out, so I'm using the 2 second camera delay (to minimise effect of mirror vibration) and an 8 second delay from a third-party interval timer connected to the camera.  The camera takes 3 bracketed shots every 8 seconds with the mirror moved 2 seconds before firing - just enough time to dust a slide with soft brush, place it in its frame on the light source and remove afterwards.  A lot quicker than scanning!

I'm still pleased I chose the 70D as the articulated screen is very useful in other circumstances, although I'm never forgo a proper view finder - eg Canon M.

Peter

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow