how can the NEX auto-focus miss these shots?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,035Gear list
Like?
Re: Center focus and re-compose
In reply to chromnd, 8 months ago

chromnd wrote:

... I also use DMF, because sometimes when I use large aperture at portrait shots and I focus on one eye, it happens that the NEX chooses to focus on the hair next to the eye, because they have simply more contrast.

At some point, I cut the camera some slack and figure that it doesn't know exactly what I want to focus on, and it's just picking something. In general, the DOF will be large enough that it's probably OK.

If you aren't going to rely on the AF choosing a point for you (particularly when there's a shallow focal plane, or something else in the way that you know the camera is going to focus on, like shooting through a fence or some branches), DMF is a really good option.

The problem is, that it all has to go very quickly, so a lot of practice is mandatory. I wonder how the new a6000 will perform, to be honest I'm not so confident about a major improvement - but that's just my gut feeling.

Someone mentioned "eye-focus"?! That might help, although I wonder how it knows which eye, if you have that shallow of a DOF....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow