ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
wilkes888
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Build Quality of the Olympus OM-D EM-1? Mine appears to be falling apart
8 months ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to check with other EM-1 users about the build quality of their cameras.

I've had this for just over a month now and there are three things that concern me

1. Eyecup fallen off twice - I have lost the original eye-cup AND then lost a replacement larger EP13 eyecup within 24h of getting it... I've seen a lot of posts about the 'lock mechanism' but have found it to be completely ineffective. 
  2. Textured Grip... fallen off - The faux-leather/rubber grip by the D-pad started coming away from the pad and then fell out in the next hour. I was walking around a launch party event, not diving or doing anything extreme. Seems strange for a 'weather sealed' body to start falling apart.
  3. Hotshoe Cover... keeps falling off - I've almost lost the hot-shoe cover twice now. Fortunately I heard it fall off both times. I've now put a piece of duct tape on it so I don't lose it.

Has anyone else countered the same issues?

I have no issues with the camera's image quality, performance etc... just very concerned that a camera marketed towards the 'pro-user' would fall apart so easily.

Here's a picture of what it looks like right now... bear in mind it is approx 5 weeks old.

1 month old Olympus OM-D EM-1... notice the missing grip around the d-pad and playback button... the missing eyecup and the duct tape on the hotshoe to stop it going missing too.

wilkes888's gear list:wilkes888's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow