Is the Panasonic 25mm a real f/1.4 lens?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree.
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

007peter wrote:

Hi Peter, thanks for your answer

I share the same thought as you (for the most part). However, you must keep your Expectation Realistic & Reasonable. A slight 0.3ev lost in T-Stop is to be expected. AFAIK, no lens live up to their T-Stop claim (or very very few do). Most manufacture measure them under the best LAB CONDITION, so in everyday "Real World", a slight 0.3ev lost isn't outrageous.

For example, the DXO Tested T Stops are:

• 2.0 T-Stop for Panasonic 20mm F1.7 (II) | -0.3ev
  • 2.1 T-Stop for Panasonic 20mm F1.7 (I) | -0.4ev
  • 2.2 T-Stop for Olympus 12mm F2 | -0.2ev
  • 2.0 T-Stop for Olympus 45mm F1.8 | -0.2ev
  • 2.0 T-Stop for Olympus 75mm F1.8 | -0.2ev

Yes, I've seen it. Panasonic primes seems to be consistently 0.3ev darker than the claims, while Olympus 0.2ev.

Based on DXO results, I would say Olympus is more consistent with narrower gap between Lab Tested "claimed" vs real-world tested results. It would surprise me if the new Olympus 25/1.8 is tested exactly at 2.0 T-Stop.

Robin Wong seems to think that it's actually brighter than its claims. It would be a good surprise if DXO confirms it (though I doubt it).

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Since Olympus is the cheaper of the two, I just buy it over Panasonic.

That's my thinking now, though I like the pictures I've seen with the Panasonic. I think I'll buy the Olympus, but I'm curious about the diffrences between both.

-- hide signature --

Fstop and tstop are two different concepts, Fstop is the physical size ratio of the aperture to focal length, tstop is how much light the lens lets through, and varies by the type of glass elements used and the optical design, no lenses have a 1:1 tstop to fstop ratio nor are any manufacturers "lying" about tstops when they list fstops. This is why cine lenses are rated as t-stops not f-stops.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow