In reply to Alan Lai, 10 months ago

Alan Lai wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

Alan Lai wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

Alan Lai wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

"Those who can't do, teach." perhaps?

I hope you realize that teaching requires more than just "do", but able to "explain" clearly to people who are not familiar with the field.

The problem presented here? Too many people claim they are photographers, but in the end, they aren't photographer in any way. Similar to the thinking that you own pro gear you are a pro, you

read forums and you are an expert.

Wow. I didn't realise so many people would be unfamiliar with that phrase.

No, it's not supposed to apply to every teacher. I know there are a hell of a lot of really great teachers out there, with exceptional skills.

On the other hand, there are also "teachers" out there who are happy to "educate" about things they don't understand. Case in point. That is the type of person the phrase is used to refer to.

Dunno what the rest of your post is about. Perhaps you could draw up some guidelines so we can distinguish between these "photographers" and people who "aren't photographer in any way".

The meaning for that phrases is indeed "People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching." I understand it pretty correctly. So what's the "unfamiliar with that phrase" about?

You surely don't think it applies to all teachers? I don't, as you can identify by the question mark at the end of my original post, thereby identifying, in my opinion, the situation described as an example of the phrase.

For the rest of your post, I think you know those guidelines very well so there's no need for me to draw up any.

Well, apparently not. After all, there are apparently people here who are calling themselves pro, because they own pro gear, and calling themselves photographers, even though they "aren't photographer in any way". Would you like to give us some examples, or some way of determining which is which?

Your blanket statement make it sounds like it applies to all teachers. I certainly do not think the blanket statement is right, and I am glad you agree with me here.

And for your second paragraph, as I said you already know the examples. Because if you don't, you wouldn't say or quote the phrase "Those who can't do, teach."

So in a conclusion, I did not misunderstand your quote. The negative connotation within your blanket statement toward teachers is what I strongly disagree with.

Ahh, got it. No worries.

Yes, sorry, thought you meant people on this forum, or in this thread. I didn't realise you were referring to the example in the OP.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow