Buying E-PL5 or E-M10

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
mcentral
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying E-PL5 or E-M10
In reply to ttan98, 5 months ago

Well once you add in the cost of a new or used EVF, the price of the EPL5 is closer to that of the EM10, so it's hard to argue for the EPL5. I have an EPL5 with VF4 and I love the combo, but I can't say I'd buy it today over the EM10.  I actually find the EPL5 okay to use even with my large-ish hands, but I suppose it depends how you shoot.  I mostly just keep it in A and use exposure comp and a back button to focus, so I don't really feel that deprived of controls (plus the super control panel is only a button press away). However the little dial thing on the back is annoying and fiddly, and when I look at my other camera - a Ricoh GR - which is not that much bigger, I wonder why Olympus couldn't have fit in an additional dial or lever or something. ┬áBut I do like how the EPL5 can go from something you can fit in your palm like the GR (with a pancake lens and no EVF) to something more substantial in your hand eg. with the VF4 and a larger lens.

mcentral's gear list:mcentral's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow