Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kzibart
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
How can I speed up AF/AE on the 6D?
8 months ago

I recently acquired a 6D to replace a 550D.  Maybe I am just more used to the timing of the 550D, which I've been using for a few years now, but it seems like the 6D's AF/AE is slower.  I just took about 2,700 shots at a dance competition this weekend, and I found it difficult to capture the fleeting moments that I had gotten good at capturing with my 550D.  I regularly found myself trying to complete the capture of an image only to have the camera ignore me and then take the image a fraction of a second later.  I wasn't giving it enough time between half-pressing and fully pressing, but it seemed to need significantly more time than my 550D.

Most of the settings were the same or comparable.  Manual mode, evaluative metering, center point AF, RAW only output, and the same 50mm f/1.4 USM lens.  I did use auto ISO this weekend, compared to a fixed ISO previously on my 550D, so I'm wondering if that have contributed to the extra lag.

So, any suggestions or advice on how I can improve the AF/AE, or otherwise reduce the lag between half-pressing and full pressing?  I will say that I'm very much pleased with the images I captured.  I just wish they were the properly-timed images, which is something I pride myself on capturing.

Thanks,

Kevin

kzibart's gear list:kzibart's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow