1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,851
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Actually Stacey, my fear is the opposite. Nikon seems to be struggling lately to release lenses that truly take the advantage of the D800E sensor for the landscape work I do. I have no problem with a designer doing a lens that is great for things like what the 58 is good for, but if you look at my last few purchases, only half of then are Nikon. I got into Nikon 30+ years ago because I loved their GLASS - and it pains me that I can't find what I want within their system and have had to go to Zeiss and Sigma (particularly Sigma of all) to get what I need in terms of high performing lenses on the D800E for landscape work.

If I were Nikon (yea, we all can dream), and in charge of lens development, I'd start a new, and probably more expensive line, of HD Nikkor G or something, specifically designed with sharpness and microcontrast in mind, with the aim of being the best there is - even if they were a lot more money. Too many D800E owners I know have ventured far off reservation, so to speak, to get lenses that take advantage of everything that sensor can do. That's money out of Nikons pockets. Nikon certainly has the capability, but they haven't come through with it yet, and that is frustrating. I didn't buy the Zeiss 21 and 135 and Sigma 35 because I wanted to shaft Nikon, I bought they because Nikon didn't have an option that performed as well at those respective focal lengths. I much rather have had Nikon had something in their catalog that had competed with those guys properly, but they didn't, and still really don't...

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow