ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aimhere
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
YANLT (Yet Another Noob Lens Thread)
6 months ago

Hi,

After many years of using point-and-shoot cameras, I recently decided to get into DSLR photography, and bought a Nikon D7100.

To go along with the camera, I got a Nikon 18-200mm VRII, just to get started. I wanted a lens that would cover everything from wide-angle to telephoto, so if I was in a situation where I could have just one lens, it would be this one.

However, I'm well aware the 18-200mm is a Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens. It's neither particularly fast nor exceptionally sharp, with barrel and pincushion distortion at either end of the range, and is pretty heavy.

I'm planning to use the camera for a little bit of everything:

• Landscapes
  • Birds & wildlife
  • Street scenes
  • Architecture
  • Portraits
  • Flowers
  • Other macro photos

I'm just starting out, but may eventually go semi-pro as my skills evolve.

I've been scouring review sites and the user reviews on places like B&H, but the number of choices is dizzying. So, I'm asking for opinions on which other lenses I might want to add to my kit.

I'll take all the advice I can get at this point!

By the way, here are a couple of examples of what I've done so far with the 18-200mm lens. Let me know what you think.

I shot this cathedral from across the street, late in the afternoon (and it was bitterly cold out!). It was just a test snapshot, but I thought it turned out good enough to share. Image has been cropped, corrected for barrel distortion and CA, exposure/levels adjusted.

My cat. I put my speedlight in remote mode and mounted (with diffuser cap) on a handheld monopod, then waved it off to the side to get her to look up while also adding light (killing two birds with one stone). Processed to adjust white balance, exposure, and a little sharpening and noise reduction. (P.S. - I always have trouble photographing this cat, she's learned to anticipate flashes and blinks almost every time!)

Saw some sparrows in a bush, happened to have the camera with me, took a snapshot. This was at 200mm. I wanted to get closer, but of course they all flew away when I moved. Cropped, adjusted exposure and a little sharpening/NR.

Aimhere's gear list:Aimhere's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow