Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
jakey217350
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

I have the K-5II and the Nikon D7000. I use them both almost entirely for sports shooting in continuous shooting mode, so that's where my perspective is coming from in answer to your question.

I started with Pentax  equipment in 2008 and bought the D7000 a couple years ago only because I wanted to use the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 zoom, which is not available in a Pentax mount. I had no complaints about the Pentax equipment I was using, I just wanted the 120-300mm and had no alternative but to buy Nikon (or Canon) equipment if I wanted the lens.

Anyway, the biggest difference for me has been that the D7000 has lower noise at high ISO settings compared to the K-5II. I believe the K-3 has not improved on high ISO noise performance over the K-5II so I think the D7000 would still be the low noise winner vs the K-3.

I think the D7000 still focuses a bit faster in low light comapred to the K-5II also, at least for my purposes. That said, I only purchased the K-5II recently, replacing my K-5, and the K-5II has narrowed the gap between it and the D7000 in low noise and autofocusing performance.

The only other advantage the D7000 has for me compared to the K-5II is that I recently sold my slow focusing DA* 50-135mm and purchased a faster focusing Sigma 50-150mm (non image stabilized) for my D7000 as a replacement lens. Again, the Sigma 50-150 is not available in a Pentax mount, thus forcing my hand. Shooting typically at 1/500 SS or higher, I don't need the image stabilization but the Sigma 50-150mm focuses faster under indoor lighting, which is crucial for me as I shoot a lot of indoor sports.

Otherwise, I generally still like my K-5II and may replace an old K-5 I have with the K-3. The number one advantage of the Pentax DSLRs is the weatherproofing. Shooting outside this is a tremendous advantage when it starts to rain. I've had the Pentax DSLRs out in all sorts of rain (with a DA*) lens and the equipment has never let me down. The D7000 and the Sigma 120-300mm have some water and dust resistance but definitely not to the extent of the K-5II, so I am careful not to subject the non-Pentax equipment to much rain. That is very inconvenient at times.

For sports shooting, the K-5II has a faster frame rate but a much lower capacity buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. I believe the K-3 has improved in this regard.

That's my two cents.

Jay

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow