The future of Nikon 1

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,384Gear list
Like?
Re: The future of Nikon 1
In reply to IVN, 5 months ago

IVN wrote:

"Compared to other players, mirrorless is different for us in terms of concept. Although the Nikon 1 is the same mirrorless structure, the intent of launching Nikon 1 is that it’s a total system for the current way that people popularly use the camera, which is to -- in a very convenient way -- carry the camera out with them, take beautiful photos in a casual and convenient way, and share it with other people through social media, like smart phones or smart devices."

Does that sound like a description of current Nikon 1 cameras to you? Nikon 1 cameras neither have touchscreens nor WiFi connectivity, so how come Nikon thinks that they are especially suited as an upgrade for users of smartphones and tablets? I could see Samsung saying this, since they are ahead of other MILC manufacturers in regards to WiFi connectivity and social media integration, but not Nikon. In fact, I would say that Nikon, as a traditional camera maker who is not known for its excellence in regards to software, is the furthest away from this consumer group.

The people I have met who have been happy N1 system owners are typically people who appreciate the "it just works" mentality of the camera. The sensor is big enough, and the AF, VR and general camera AI smart enough, that you can get good results with minimal effort in almost any environment.

So in that sense I agree with what the Nikon rep. said.

Of course, the Wi-fi adapter and general state of Nikon's "social media" photo sharing and camera control companion apps is extremely poor and in drastic need of improvement. The requirement of a $40 plug-in adapter for wifi is just unacceptable in an age of smartphones and eye-fi cards. The camera itself however is basically well-suited to its typical usage case, and the small and relatively inexpensive lenses are ideal.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow