Why choose an X-T1 instead of a DSLR?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
FodgeandDurn
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Why choose an X-T1 instead of a DSLR?
In reply to LarsLeibgott, 7 months ago

LarsLeibgott wrote:

Both systems have bodies which appeal to me more than a large, standard, "hefty" looking DSLR. I shoot a lot of street photography and having a camera like the GX7 or the E-M1 or the X-T1 or the X-E2 makes it easier to approach people for a photograph. They respond better to it than they do a D600. The size and form difference is noticeable, especially to someone who isn't familiar with photography equipment.
(I also personally like EVFs; having access to info in a sort of 'heads up display' fashion is cool, and as a youngin' I never really got accustomed to shooting with OVFs.)
I don't think anything's a bad choice, though, so long as it works for you and you're not forgoing something absolutely essential to your style/job/workflow for the sake of aesthetics. I'll probably buy another DSLR at some point, because I do like them and I think the benefits are still appreciable in some areas. But by and large, I'm mirrorless from this point forward.

I thought this was a nice answer. Yes I bought my Sony NEX6 because I wanted something smaller to travel with than a DSLR, but I was also very aware that I'd be able to get better more candid shots of people without a large Nikon around my neck.

The X-T1 costs significantly more than a D7100, and about the same as a D610. I'd get the X-T1 because I like to travel without a huge camera and I prefer the more approachable (ok, cool) look of a mirrorless camera over a traditional DSLR. For me, that size/look advantage, the lens selection, and the data on the EVF would easily make up for a slower autofocus (an issue that is becoming less and less relevant anyway).

If you get a chance to fiddle with them in a shop you'll immediately see that they are rather different beasts.

An entry DSLR like the D3200 or a Rebel might be a similar size, but will have far fewer features and frankly look no-where near as good. As soon as you start going up the DSLR tree the size difference will become more pronounced.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow