Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacimi
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect
In reply to Fred Briggs, 6 months ago

Fred Briggs wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

There are many opinions starting to form of this lens and I am so surprised that people expect this to be a wonder lens! yes it's not cheap but it's still a zoom lens and zooms are a compromise.

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at large apertures then you may be disappointed!

This lens is versatile and will give you much sharper images than the kit lens especially in the corners but don't expect it to give you prime performance.

At £1049 it's good value when you compare with Canon and Nikon but just dont expect a new level of performance.

Ian

Just got mine (paid £999) and pretty much agree with your assessment. I also have the 28-70 kit so have done some quick comparisons today to see if my investment has been worth it!

Overall I would say that at 24mm it is not going to satisfy landscape shooters, but for everything else it is pretty good, and a definite improvement, albeit not that big an improvement on the kit lens. Both are very good in the centre. The 24-70 extends sharpness nearer to the edges than the kit, and is much better, though still not great, in the corners. It don't know whether it is colour or contrast or both, but the 24-70 also has a bit more of that elusive 3D effect in the images.

For most types of subject this will be a great take everywhere lens, and is small and light enough not to compromise the unique FF portability selling point of the A7(R). The small increase in size and weight over the kit is hardly noticeable.

However, I will be looking forward with interest to the rumored 16-35mm wide angle, and hope that it will be at least as good as the 10-18mm which I currently own and which does quite well on the A7.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred could you post some pics of the same scene with kit vs 24-70? That would be a big help.

Jacimi's gear list:Jacimi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow