Senior MemberPosts: 3,406Gear list
Like?
Re: Something to consider...
In reply to Steven Wandy, 6 months ago

Steven Wandy wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Nemo0815 wrote:

Robin Wong, after all.

he is Olympus employee after all, so he can't be 100% impartial (that does not mean that PL25/1.4 is better - that means he can't do a more precise testing... for example compare Nikon 85/1.4 vs Nikon 85/1.8 - there are many points where 1.8 scores better... and those 2 were not designed to compete - while O25/1.8 was vs PL25/1.4).

And he never says he does "precise testing", his "testing" has always been from a shooter's point of view. I don't think it means "that he can't do a more precise testing".

Additionally, he was not comparing 85mm lenses - he was talking about 50mm lenses and going WAY back for me to film day, a particular brand's 50mm 1.4 was generally built better and probably round twice as expensive as it's 1.8 lens. (Just as a 1.2 lens was always more expensive than a 1.4 lens.)

I am not sure if the same hold true for longer lenses - or for all focal lengths in general.

Current generation Nikkor 1.8G and 1.4G 50mm lenses tested on Lenstip:

1.8G1.4G

I'd personally say that the 1.8 is either slightly better or both are so similar as to have no practical difference. A case for the 1.4 being better is very difficult to make.

Pricing wise in the UK: £149 for the 1.8G and £279 for the 1.4G, inc. VAT - the entire money you pay for the lenses to appear at your door.

Per RW's test: PL25 and Oly 50/1.8 'identical' optically. Let's say this is similar to the Nikkor situation.

Pricing wise: £369 for the 1.8 and £399 for the 1.4.

Conclusion: Relatively speaking, either the PL25 is amazingly good value or the Oly 1.8 is amazingly bad value, or both

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow