Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 5,666Gear list
Re: Something to consider...
In reply to Steven Wandy, Feb 16, 2014

Steven Wandy wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Nemo0815 wrote:

Robin Wong, after all.

he is Olympus employee after all, so he can't be 100% impartial (that does not mean that PL25/1.4 is better - that means he can't do a more precise testing... for example compare Nikon 85/1.4 vs Nikon 85/1.8 - there are many points where 1.8 scores better... and those 2 were not designed to compete - while O25/1.8 was vs PL25/1.4).

And he never says he does "precise testing", his "testing" has always been from a shooter's point of view. I don't think it means "that he can't do a more precise testing".

Additionally, he was not comparing 85mm lenses - he was talking about 50mm lenses and going WAY back for me to film day, a particular brand's 50mm 1.4 was generally built better and probably round twice as expensive as it's 1.8 lens. (Just as a 1.2 lens was always more expensive than a 1.4 lens.)

I am not sure if the same hold true for longer lenses - or for all focal lengths in general.

Current generation Nikkor 1.8G and 1.4G 50mm lenses tested on Lenstip:

I'd personally say that the 1.8 is either slightly better or both are so similar as to have no practical difference. A case for the 1.4 being better is very difficult to make.

Pricing wise in the UK: £149 for the 1.8G and £279 for the 1.4G, inc. VAT - the entire money you pay for the lenses to appear at your door.

Per RW's test: PL25 and Oly 50/1.8 'identical' optically. Let's say this is similar to the Nikkor situation.

Pricing wise: £369 for the 1.8 and £399 for the 1.4.

Conclusion: Relatively speaking, either the PL25 is amazingly good value or the Oly 1.8 is amazingly bad value, or both

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow