Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dalemccl
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
GH3/4: focus at infinity? How?
10 months ago

I'm considering the new GH4 to replace my Sony HandyCam camcorder for video.  Most of my video shooting is cityscapes and stage events where the camera is at quite some distance from the subject.  The Sony camcorder has a "Scene" mode named "Landscape", which I think, forces the AF to infinity so that everything beyond a few feet from the camera is in focus, and stays in focus even as I zoom, pan, or change exposure compensation (and thus possibly aperture).  It has never failed to focus properly in that mode, without any manual focusing on my part.  I just set it to Landscape scene mode and then not worry about focus.  The small 1/2.88 sensor doesn't have much depth-of-field to begin with, so that helps in this regard.

I checked the GH3 .pdf manual and did not see a similar "Landscape" scene mode.  Assuming the GH4 is the same as the GH3 in this regard, how would you lock focus on the distance?  Can it only be done by manually focusing and watching the EVF or screen until distant objects look in focus (and using peaking as an aid with the GH4).  And what happens if you change aperture during shooting to adjust for lighting changes?  Normally a change in aperture would change depth-of-field, which in my situation would be undesirable.

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow