Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
toporossa
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed
In reply to dgrogers, 10 months ago

If you look at the pictures, both lenses indeed seem to deliever a very similar out of focus blur at different apertures (1.4 versus 1.8). That's interesting, but it's often said that you can optimize a lens for either good bokeh or for good sharpness, of course with better or worse compromises between this two parameters. So I guess good bokeh characteristics can give you better impression of blurred details than not-so-good bokeh characteristics and vice versa sharper lenses can give the impression of less blur. (Of course I know that bokeh is not about the quantity of dof control but (subjective) quality but that doesn't man that a good bokeh can't influence the impression of how much the background is blurred). So it has to be proved if the Olympus is really as sharp as PL. Probably it's also possible that a clever lens design can suceed in both sharpnes and bokeh better than other ones, but again that still has to be proved in controlled test designs.

Although the Oly 25mm is smaller and lighter than the PL 25mm, it's also noteworthy that the lens is longer in length than the Oly 17mm f1.8 and even more so than the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. A point that I miss in the discussion is build quality. All my lenses, even the "cheap zooms" of Olympus are in excellent condition without scratches except the Oly 45mm which has minor, but many scratches on the surface. Since the 25mm is said to have the same build quality I think it shouldn't be more expensive than the (optically excellent ) 45mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow