Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated
10 months ago

I have been shooting primarily with my LX7 for the past 2 years, before that mostly Canon, S95 ,etc., and years ago a 3 lens Canon SLR setup. After 3 trips to Europe, with too much time spent on benches carefully changing lenses and the daypack weighing far more than is comfortable, I jumped to digital P&S cameras for their weight and ease of use.

My focus (sorry) is landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, food, people, mostly during the day and mostly outside and I view my images on my current generation 27"iMac, share them with friends and have prints and calendars made up to about 10X14. I am not a pixel peeper and i shout exclusively in JPEG with minimal PP.

I now am retired and my wife and I travel very often, both across the US and 2 times per year to Europe. I really enjoy photography but not at the expense of extra weight and sitting on benches changing lenses frequently.

Recently the price of several larger sensor cameras have become ridiculously inexpensive, with the NEX 3N and Olympus E-PM2 with kit lenses in the $300 range. I posted a similar question to both of their boards and received various responses, from "all of your images will be significantly better than from you LX7 to there will be little difference at all". I clearly stated I would be using the kit lens primarily.

I strongly believe the correct response to my question is that with a normal kit lens, shooting in adequate light there will be little, if any difference between my LX7 and the Nex 3N or Olympus E-pm2 with kit lenses. I believe this is partly true because the poor kit lens quality and the reality that the LX7 is a darn good camera, and the small sensor suffers little in adequate light, and I don't plan on making 20X30 size prints.

So why am I asking here? It's because what I have read is that the kit lens for the M is quite a bit better than your standard kit lens, and of course the sensor is quite good, the size of the M is small, and it is very reasonably priced now.

So what do you think? Will i be able to appreciate a significant difference in IQ and DR in a significant number of my images viewed as I do view them? Or will i only notice a big difference in low light? Do Keep in mind the LX7 lens is quite bright, 24mm - 90mm, F1.4 - F2.3, so even in low light the LX7 is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as an APS-c size sensor camera.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Joel

A few LX7 images are below:

Venice

Venice in fog, 6am

Varenna, Lake Como, Italy

Chianti region, Italy

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow