Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
Re: no point - just I hate W8
In reply to Sean Nelson, 8 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Again, just to keep the record straight - Windows XP did not come "after" Windows ME, it came after Windows 2000, which was in turn a successor of Windows NT. Windows ME came "after" in terms of time, but not in terms of the lineage of the code base.

While Microsoft was selling Windows 95/98/ME which came from a DOS-based 16-bit heritage, they had a completely separate line of 32-bit fully multitasked operating systems which grew out of their failed collaboration with IBM on OS/2.

The whole OS/2 vs. Windows episode was an interesting part of computer history. I had high hopes for OS/2 at one time, but IBM displayed its characteristic instinct to preserve its existing businesses at the expense of its future ones. PS/2, OS/2, DOA.

I used OS/2 on my home machine for a couple of years before Windows NT became available. Microsoft still hasn't got scroll bars right the way OS/2 did - if you grab a vertical scroll bar and move it up and down, it will snap back to it's original position if you stray too far to the left or right. A vertical scroll bar should ignore horizontal movements of the mouse like OS/2 did (and a corresponding observation is true of horizontal scrollbars).

I wanted a reasonably priced 32-bit OS to take advantage of the 386 clones available around the late-80's, early-90's. The irritation I had over not being able to use that chip's full potential was considerable; all the Unixes I was aware of at the time were quite pricey and short of applications.

My memory that far back is shaky, but ISTR buying OS/2 2.0 in a box with an amazing number of 3.5" floppies. After going through the install ordeal, I sadly discovered that my video card wasn't supported beyond VGA, so no hi-res games...back to DOS+Desqview+QEMM-386 until I discovered Slackware Linux a couple of years later.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow